OLPHARTS Weedless Circle Hooks and Bait Savers significantly help to decrease fish mortality rates during catch and release fishing. Some studies estimate the mortality for caught and released sea trout to be around 8%, while other reports place mortality as high as 15%. Astoundingly, however, OLPHARTS rate is averaging as low as 2% with our circle hooks.
Top 10 Causes of Increased Mortality of C&R Fish
- Using light tackle: The longer the fish struggles, the more its energy and oxygen is depleted.
- Handling fish: Holding fish increases the chance internal organs can be damaged.
- Flopping in the boat: Similar to mishandling fish, flopping can cause damage to internal organs.
- Time out of water: Lack of air can be fatal. Try holding your breath after climbing four flights of stairs.
- Higher water temperature: There is less dissolved oxygen in warm water.
- Not using rubberized net: Rough nets take away protective slime covering.
- Keeping fish on a stringer: Studies show that even though they swim away, the won’t survive.
- Using live bait: This increases chances of fish swallowing bait and gut hooking it.
- Holding big fish by the mouth: This can dislocate the jaw and consequently lead to starvation. Always support the belly, particularly in large species, such as Snook.
- Being a novice fisherman: Experienced fishermen have less gut-hooked fish and know how to quickly release them.
Adhering to fishing tips provided by experienced anglers can be critical for catch and release fishing. To paraphrase a famous quote, a fish is far too valuable to only be caught once.
Critical Steps for Catch and Release Fishing
Be sure to reel in fish as fast as possible, and quickly remove hook without touching the fish if possible. Release fish back into the water as soon as possible. Use only rubberized nets, and ALWAYS support the underside of the fish if holding for a picture.
Read our Fishing Reflections blog to learn about the moral and environmental importance of catch-and-release fishing methods to protect fish populations for future generations of fishermen.
Are you ready to start fishing with a heart? Save money and save more fish with our HOOKS.